“The vision must be followed by the venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps – we must step up the stairs.”
– Vance Havner
You cannot achieve something just by imagining them. You have to earn that, work hard & even smart at times. No matter from which background you come from there’s only one way to be successful, and that is to get started. Meet Shloka Shah she started her Tech journey at Sardar Patel Institute Of Technology, way back in 2017. She is a web developer, Python Developer, Software Development Engineer at one of the most prestigious companies, “HackerRank”. Apart from these, she holds Certifications In “Data Science & Analytics”, “AWS Fundamentals “, “Deep Learning”, and the list goes on…But she didn’t achieve this overnight, she worked hard continuously for 5 years, to achieve what she has today. Years of sleepless nights, hard work, dedication, perseverance and a lot of things are working at the back-end of success. The icing on the cake came when she got the title of GHCI Scholar, SIH ’20 Finalist & Winner of VIT Hack. Here we have covered all of her experiences in this article, let’s see what she has to say.
Q1. Describe the application process in brief.
The application process mainly consisted of three parts:
- Filling out the GHCI application required the reason as to why we wish to attend GHCI, what impact will us attending the GHCI have on the STEM community.
- It also required us to submit two letters of recommendation.
- Making a YouTube video as to why we wish to attend GHCI, an introduction about ourselves. (optional)
Q2. Tell us a little bit about yourself. Could be your story. Feel free to write about anything fun, deep, emotional, or motivating.
I am Shloka Shah, a Computer Science Undergraduate from Sardar Patel Institute of Technology. My desire to learn and explore new things motivated me to participate in various hackathons where I have emerged victorious. I am a self-taught coder and a team player, also one of the founding members of the Coding Club in my college. I am a passionate learner and enthusiastic developer trying out projects in the field of Web Development, Machine Learning, Deep Learning, and Data Science.
Overall, I’m really excited to build software technologies using a data-driven approach. During my college years I have understood that failure sometimes can be a part of our journey but instead of getting demotivated by it we should consider it as an opportunity to learn and grow.
Q3. Major Accomplishments
GHCI’20 Scholar – Scholarship to attend Asia’s largest conference for Women in Technology
– Finalist SIH 2020, Problem Statement by ISRO
– Winner IIC Hack SPIT
– 5th place at Hack by the Beach BITS Pilani, Goa
– 2nd place at Data Quezt VESIM, Mumbai
– 1st place at MPSTME Hack NMIMS, Mumbai
– 1st Place at VIT-Hack VIT, Vellore
– SDE Intern at HackerRank
Q4. Why do you think you were selected?
I feel I was selected because I was an active participant in hackathons. Also, I organized various technical events in my college. Apart from extra-curricular activities I had consistent grades as well as interesting projects.
Q5. Any advice you would like to give future applicants?
1) Be active in participating in competitions.
2) Try to get a LOR from some teacher with whom you have worked the most
3) Highlight key contributions made in the field by emphasizing your projects.
4) Highlight what impact you can bring to the STEM community
We totally agree with Shloka, Be active & you will stand out from the crowd. Like GHC Scholarship, If you are also looking for some amazing opportunities & other scholarships, to add to your resume, do check out these articles.
Do connect with Shloka Shah on LinkedIn and you will learn a bunch of stuff from her. Always remember success is not an overnight thing you really need to earn that.
Happy Learning !!