Since its inception in 1975, Microsoft has become one of the biggest tech giants in the world. This American multinational company with its headquarters in Redmond, Washington, has played a pivotal role in shaping the tech world as we see it today. Hence, it’s no wonder that students all over the world pursuing a career in tech would consider it as their dream company.
Here are some internship programs and competitions that are provided by Microsoft:
- The Garage Internship Program
- Leap Apprentice Program
- Explore Microsoft
- Microsoft HR Rotational Program (HR2P)
- Imagine Cup
- Microsoft Learn Student Ambassador Program
1. THE GARAGE INTERNSHIP PROGRAM
It is an internship program for university students studying computer science and related fields which focuses on building apps for Microsoft’s latest platforms and devices. It mimics a startup, whereby each intern hacks on a project that is pitched to them by different Microsoft product groups.
For the position of a Program Manager:
- Pursuing a bachelor’s in computer science or related field with a minimum of one semester remaining after internship.
- Some experience with programming languages like C++, Java, or any others.
- Some software building experience.
For the position of a Software Engineer:
- Pursuing a bachelor’s degree in computer science or related fields with a minimum one semester remaining after internship.
- Prior experience with programming languages like C++ and Java.
- Prior experience with C,C#,VB.NET and designing and developing tool architecture preferred.
- Some software building experience preferred.
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Duration: 16 weeks
Application is submitted through the official website which should include strengths, accomplishments, specific skill sets, and prior experience. It is followed by a 30-minute phone interview after which there will be an interview on-site in Vancouver.
2. LEAP APPRENTICE PROGRAM
The Microsoft Leap Apprentice program focuses on sourcing and developing non-traditional talent. Participants can choose from different pathways to participate in.
For all pathways, the candidate must have completed their course 6 months before the program and also be authorized to work in the US. Applicants should not have been employed by Microsoft within the past 7 months.
For the User Experience Design pathway:
- Must have done a course related to design offline or online.
- Prior work experience is required.•
- Must have some experience with interface design tools like Sketch, XD, Figma, Illustrator.
For Software Engineering:
- Participants must have an AA in computer science.
- Must have completed a coding bootcamp.
- Must have certification from a coding academy.
For software support:
- Only citizens of Nigeria can apply.
- Must have finished National Youth Corps Service.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in computer science.
- Minimum 6 months of technical experience after degree completion.
For Technical Program Management:
- Must have an AA in computer science.
- Completion from a web development training program.
- Minimum of 6 months of professional experience after degree completion.
- Completion or graduation from a coding academy.
For Customer Service Engineering:
- Must be a citizen of Nigeria.
- Must have completed National Youth Corps Service.
- Completed a coding bootcamp.
- Must have prior work experience. (tech or non-tech)
For Business Program Management:
- Certification in program management.
- Graduation from a coding academy.
- Minimum of 6 months of professional experience in program management or software development.
- For Customer Service engineering and Software support, it is held only in Nigeria.
- For other pathways, locations include Redmond, US, Sunnyvale, US, Lagos, Nigeria and Nairobi, Kenya.
Duration: 16 weeks
Application dates: 7/29/2020 7:00 AM PST – 8/2/2020 11:59 PM PST (only for new Atlanta based Software development pathway). All other applications are closed.
It consists of an application along with 2 essays. This should include:
- Significant work experience in your selected pathway.
- Confirmation of degree completion 6 months prior.
Login to your Linkedin account and submit your resume formatted in Markdown, through GitHub Gist.
The application is followed by an interview which includes:
- Two 45-minute online interviews.
- Questions will be focused on areas like:
- Technical skills
- Collaborative skills
- Problem-solving skills
3. Whiteboard coding will also be included.
3. EXPLORE MICROSOFT
Explore Microsoft is a summer internship rotational program which is designed to give more hands-on experience with certain tools and programming languages in the field of software development.
- Applicants must be in their 1st or 2nd year of a Bachelor’s program in computer science or a related field.
- Candidates must be from the US, Mexico, or Canada.
Location: Redmond, Washington
- The application is available on the official website.
- Resume must include email address, permanent address, phone number, the major you are pursuing, and expected graduation date. It should also include a list of courses you are currently taking.
4. MICROSOFT HR ROTATIONAL PROGRAM (HR2P)
It is an internship for MBA students who wish to develop their skills in the business world. Includes opportunities in disciplines like HR business partner, compensation and benefits, HR services, people analytics, program management, and a variety of others.
- Applicants must be actively enrolled in an MBA or a Master’s of HR course.
- Must have 3-5 years of professional experience.
Location: Redmond, Washington, USA
Duration: 12 weeks
Application is done through the official website.
5. IMAGINE CUP
Considered to be the “ Olympics of Technology”, it is an intense, skill-based competition open to students all over the globe. It brings together the sharpest, most innovative minds to build the most groundbreaking software using Microsoft tools.
- Applicants must be at least 16 years of age enrolled in an accredited institution that offers high school or college diplomas. Homeschooled applicants are also eligible.
- Applicants must not be an employee at Microsoft Corporation or other subsidiaries.
Location: Varies each year. Previous locations include Sydney, Seoul, and Seattle.
Application Dates: Closed for 2020.
Application is done through the official Imagine Cup Page.
6. MICROSOFT LEARN STUDENT AMBASSADOR PROGRAM
It comprises a group of on-campus ambassadors who help students and communities become leaders in tech and develop their technical skills. A student ambassador will be responsible for activities like conducting community hackathons, mentoring students, and volunteering in schools.
- Applicants must be at least 16 years old, have valid identification, and enrolled in an accredited university.
- Applicants from Cuba, Iran, Sudan, North Korea, Region of Crimea and Syria are not eligible.
Application Dates: Application is always open and students are recruited quarterly.
Application is available on the official website and includes a written sample, technology skills, and a short video introduction.
We hope that this list will help in bringing you a step closer to working with one of the biggest tech giants out there.
If you have an imagination, a thirst for knowledge, great skills, and a vision for the future, then these internships and programs are perfect for you!