My advice for young people is, study what you love and intern in what you want to do. And I think it’s okay to pivot as many times as you need to.Eva Chen
In this era where there’s no end to the competition. It becomes very difficult to survive but then that’s what internships are made for. It shows the practical application of the theory that you have learned in your Institute. Moreover, internships establish a solid foundation for your future and also facilitate things for you to obtain a permanent position in the company. Not only do they give you skills and experience, but real-world exposure that is very important to adapt to this world. Internships are very important for shaping a person according to corporate life. If you are here to get a permanent job in the company you are an intern at – do not worry: sit back, relax, we have covered everything you need to turn your internship into a full-time job in this article.
- First Impression is the Last Impression:- Psychology says that the first impression is the perception a person makes of the other person they have met for the first time. Hence make a great first impression. On your very first day just observe the work environment, since you are new to the place it is better not to speak much, try to become a good listener. Get the feel of everything: how people are working, what are the different projects they are working on, talk to them and establish a good connection with your colleagues. And the most important thing to remember: be patient & don’t try to do the things you are not asked for, it will negatively frame you.
- Be Curious:- Not only is this applicable during internships, but this principle will surely help you to become a better version of yourself throughout your life. Once you’ve entered the company doesn’t mean that learning should stop, try to learn as much as possible, learn more about the organization, learn about their working style & the most important learning hails from the experience of your colleagues. This will not only help you improve, but also prevent you from making the same mistakes as them. Actively participate in seminars, meetings, webinars, and discussions to show how much you are looking forward to learning new things. Ask for guidance when you are not sure about something – this shows how hard it is to want to become a part of that organization.
- Good Communication Skills:- The way you speak tells a lot about your personality. Hence it is important to be confident while speaking to someone. Make yourself comfortable while talking to a colleague, try to establish a relation, an understanding which will last even for a lifetime. Don’t fumble, don’t overdo things. Just keep calm & first listen to what others have to say. The key to improving your communication skills is to just LISTEN because you will be more specific when talking if you know what the other person said.
- Work Ethics:-Your performance as an intern should show your supervisors and co-workers that you would be an invaluable permanent member of the team. To do this, be punctual, be organized, manage your workspace, plan everything for the next day in advance. And the most crucial point, maintain consistency and discipline. Always keep in mind your work ethics have to say a lot about you so be careful.
- Networking:- Good relationships are the backnegatively frame your bones of your job. In the corporate world, it becomes very important to be on good terms with each one at your organization. Try to establish a friendly relation with a bunch of different people working in the organization. Networking can open new doors for you; it can help you in the job search. Thus it is something that will help you throughout your life.
- Deadline Matters:- Don’t be a lazy chap, show enthusiasm, adhere to the rules & regulations of the organization. If you want to settle for the same organization you should do all the tasks & projects before the deadline to give a positive impression.
- Be Responsible:- There should be a sense of responsibility if you want to continue working in the same organization. Do all the tasks you are asked for appropriately, take initiative & give your best shot.
- Positive Approach:- A positive attitude causes a chain reaction of positive thoughts, events, and outcomes. At work, workplace Behave the way you would in a full-time position. A positive or good attitude is a catalyst and it sparks extraordinary results.
- Seek Feedback:-Always seek feedback from your colleagues or the seniors in your organization, it won’t only help you individually but will also show your willingness to learn & improve. Evaluate your work & grow, your manager will notice & there are chances you may get to work as a permanent employee in your dream company.
- Appreciation:- When your internship at the organization comes to an end, a short thank-you note is always appreciated. Mention all the positive points you loved about the organization, the work environment, your colleagues, how you felt on the very first day, and all the things which left you impressed. This would create a positive & long impression on the manager & the team.
- Don’t Cut Off Contact:- After the internship is over don’t leave your friends & colleagues in the organization behind. Keep in touch with them. Maintain the same relationship even after you leave the organization. Maybe your colleagues can help you get a full-time role in the company or if not they can surely help you in getting a job at another organization. Be mindful of everything that happens in the organization even after you leave, it shows how hard you desire to work in the same organization.
- Don’t stress much:- Don’t stress yourself too much. At the end of the day don’t forget to take a break both mentally & physically. Do your best and leave the rest.
Follow the tips mentioned in this article & you will surely stand out. If you are a person looking for an internship or any other opportunities to polish your skills, we recommend you to go through these articles & it may get you an internship.
Since it’s summer break, a lot of Opportunities are waiting for you, so do apply for the same. Here are some of the sites that offer internships to get professional experience, do check it out.
Hopefully, you are all clear and ready to go now! Thanks for being with us so far, we have two bonus tips for you. The first one is always to Identify the “WHY?” behind your desires, “Why I need this organization ?”, “Why I want to do full-time here?”, If you get a strong answer to your “WHY?”, you are in the right direction buddy and If not then here’s the second tip for you:- Be clear with your Goals & what’s your main target in the life? If you are clear about what you need to do in your life, there is no confusion and everything goes smoothly. Always remember that there is no substitute really for learning about the world of work and being in the world of work. You can do that through internships. You can do it through summer job experiences or even from volunteer jobs in your local community. Strive early to get some kind of practical work experience.
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who’ll decide where to go!Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You’ll Go!