Technology is constantly evolving and so are the tech jobs and roles related to it. Companies are initiating different programs and mentorship activities to make students aware of these roles: Data Scientist, Research Engineer & Machine Learning Engineer. Big tech companies like Google, Microsoft, etc are offering competitive salaries for these roles. If these companies are paying such a hefty amount to hire for these roles, it is obvious that they are looking for a specialist who can handle the stuff single-handedly.
According to the current survey,
- 95 % of companies are looking for: significant experience, certifications, specializations, a high level of expertise, work in a strategic and highly complex role in a highly competitive industry for talent such as Data Scientist, Research Engineer, ML Engineer
- 75 % of companies are looking for: above average experience, strong skills, certifications, a more complex role, or work in a “fairly competitive” industry such as Software Engineer, Cloud Architect
- 50 % of companies are looking for: “average experience,” a job with “average complexity,” or work in the industry with moderate competition such as Programmer Analyst / Network Security Engineer
- 25 % of companies are looking for: entry-level workers such as Security Analyst / Information Systems
Data Scientist :
Big Tech companies have a huge amount of data and they need Data Engineers often called Data Scientists to manage the data. They analyze, process, and model large sets of structured and unstructured data.
A Data scientist’s role combines computer science, statistics & mathematical domains. They are analytical experts who utilize their skill set in both technology & social science to deal with trends & manage the data. They have the industry knowledge and a contextual understanding of the pre-existing data.
What are the requirements needed to become a data scientist?
No doubt one should have a good hold over mathematics & statistics. However, to become a data scientist technical skills alone don’t matter, one should have an in-depth understanding of how a business works and should know how to communicate complex ideas as they are inevitably responsible for taking huge data-driven decisions. Hence it is obvious that data scientists should be effective communicators, leaders, and high-level analytical thinkers.
Roadmap for becoming a data scientist:
- Pursue an undergraduate degree in data science or a closely related field
- Learn required skills to become a data scientist such as Programming, Machine Learning Techniques, data visualization, data mining, risk analysis, big data platforms, research, cloud tools, data warehousing & structures, software engineering skills & communication skills
- Consider a specialization
- Get your first entry-level data scientist job
- Review additional data scientist certifications and post-graduate learning
- Earn a master’s degree in data science
Job Opportunities / Roles offered:
- Data/Big Data Engineer
- Data/Big Data Architect
- Data Analyst
- Business Analyst
- Data Administrator
Talking about the opportunities you have to showcase your skills on LinkedIn and by taking part in several programs organized by Big tech companies to hire for the data engineer role, keep a track of them, and with persistent efforts you will surely land on one.
Companies hiring data scientists are: Netflix, Google, Visa, Facebook & many more
The estimated salary of the data scientist is approx $122,840 per year as per the latest reports but it highly depends on your skill set, experience, and other major factors.
Machine Learning Engineer:
Artificial Intelligence has reached the point in the technology sector where it holds the capability of surpassing humans. Thus, AI engineers are considered the next big thing in tech. AI engineers are solely responsible for designing and testing AI-ML models.
Machine learning engineers are in high demand in tech as the tech industry shifts its focus towards the emerging field of automation. Hence, machine learning gigs are among the best tech jobs for the future by most measures.
What are the requirements/skills needed to become a Machine Learning engineer?
- Essential math and should know how to leverage the power of computing frameworks to mine, process & present the value out of the bulk data is the most important technical skill required. Apart from this one should know how to program, and have a good hold over computing algorithms and data structures.
- ML engineers spend their time using big data to train models involved in natural language processing (NLP), economic forecasting, and image recognition. They may have a hand in the development of the Internet of Things (IoT) technology. Artificial Intelligence of Things (AIoT) is gaining traction around the world.
Roadmap for becoming a ML Engineer :
- To become an ML engineer, you need to have a bachelor’s degree in Artificial Intelligence or Machine Learning, Computer Science, Data Science and then a master’s degree in said fields would be recommended for career advancement.
- Deep understanding of machine learning & its techniques
- Extensive knowledge of deep learning and neural networks
- Knowledge of R/Python programming libraries & packages
Job Opportunities/Roles Offered:
- Companies hiring ML Engineer: Uber, Twitter, Instagram, P&G, Apple, Facebook, Google & many more
- Estimated Salary of an ML engineer is approx $171,715 in USA & Rs 21,00,000 in India
Research Engineer :
Research Engineers assist in the development or design of new products and technology.
Research in Engineering is all about implementing the results & new knowledge in the engineering domain
Research is further divided in various domains like:
- Cognitive Research
- Quantitative Research
- Analytical Research
Research Engineers work more theoretically & analytically. They collect the relevant data and evaluate it.
What are the responsibilities of a Research Engineer?
- Perform cutting edge research
- Building prototypes & systems
- Supporting leading teams of engineers with research analysis
- Coordinating or communicating with departments
- Great Communication skills
- Analytical Thinking skills
- Research & presentation skills
- Extensive knowledge of mathematics & good IT skills
- Passionate about learning new things
Roadmap for becoming a Research Engineer :
- Research Engineers need to have a bachelor’s degree in engineering field
- Having a master’s degree in any specific domain you wish to research can be a plus
- Extensive knowledge of mathematics & good IT skills
- Above average academic performance
To be a research engineer one need to be passionate about learning new things and curious to know how things work and should know to think out of the box
Estimated Salary of a Research Engineer varies from organization to organization, there is not any fixed amount that you can expect.
To summarize, Data Scientist, Machine Learning Engineer, Research Engineer are the three fancy jobs gaining gigs in Big Tech companies and can pave a great learning & career curve for anyone aiming for these roles.